Traditional Sellers Adapting E-commerce
Amazon is throwing every kind of keyword/traffic to your list in the beginning, some convert and some don’t convert.
You can just list and wait for Amazon to crawl and smell and start figuring out the keywords. Amazon is throwing every kind of keyword/traffic to your list in the beginning and every kind of keyword comes to your list and some convert and some don’t convert and Amazon is learning that moment what is working and what is not working for your list right now.
1. Amazon is not dependent on you: You don’t need to tell Amazon what keyword is suitable for your List ASIN, Group ASIN or Child ASIN.
2. Let it Crawl and Smell, it’ll figure it out: If you don’t tell any keyword to Amazon. It’s ok, Amazon is too smart. It may take Amazon a few months to realize what keywords convert best for your list and which keywords don’t convert or do well for your list.
In other words, you can just list and wait for Amazon to crawl and smell and start figuring out the keywords. It will even figure out that people start buying your product more on mother’s day than Father’s day and Amazon will automatically tag your keyword as a good product for Mother’s day and will start showing it around on this particular occasion.
3. No specific keywords required: Amazon is smart and hence it doesn’t require you to be too specific about your keywords. For example, you don’t really have to say “Jump blanket for men” or “Big blanket for women” or “Kid’s Black Blanket”. Just say “Blanket” and it’s enough. Amazon can start figuring out things later.
However, it is thankful to you if you are kind enough to go into further attributes and specify if it is suitable for women, children, men or youth or it is black, blue, red or Pink and if it is 14 x 14 or 18 x 18 or 36 x 36 etc. But if you don’t, Amazon has got every way to sniff and dig out this information due to relevancy.
4. Importance of PPC: We launch any product; we always use PPC auto in the start. The reason why everyone recommends PPC auto is not just to generate sales. You may have noticed that PPC AUTO cost you fortune in the beginning with high ACOS. Why? Because Amazon is throwing every kind of keyword/traffic to your list in the beginning and every kind of keyword comes to your list and some convert and some don’t convert and Amazon is learning that moment what is working and what is not working for your list right now.
5. Is PPC enough? Shall we say that PPC Auto is enough for Amazon to sniff and find out all relevant keywords? I will say. Quite enough.
6. No fantasy, just relevance: So why do people bother so much about backend keywords? People bother out of fantasy. They think Amazon is dependent on us and we MUST tell Amazon what keyword my product belongs to. So for me, IA would simply use the most basic keywords and put one single line of 250 characters and fill up as much as possible.
You don’t have to say “As much as possible”. You just say “Possible”. Just a few nouns are more than enough instead of adding verbs to it. You don’t waste your time in verbs. If you have used a keyword in the title, you don’t have to repeat again in the backend keyword or repeat again in bullet points or description. Amazon is smart enough to pick one keyword at once.
7. No to repetition: You don’t have to repeat “Clay Pot” and “Ceramic Pot” two times. Just say “Clay Ceramic Glass Good Bad Mother Father Pot”
8. Amazon, ASINs and PPC: The back end keyword does not necessarily have to make any sense to the reader. It makes enough sense for Amazon to automatically figure out keywords like “Clay Pot” “Mother’s day Pot” “Good Pot” “Big Pot” “Mud Pot” Even if you did not use the word Mud Pot in your list, Amazon will still figure it out since Amazon knows Clay Pots and Mud Pots are similar products.
Amazon may figure this out through PPC Auto discovery or possibly figure this out through relevant and similar product’s keywords. Amazon will soon figure out your competitor ASINs and pick up their keywords and give you the traffic that is similar to your competitors and see which keywords convert and which don’t. If you never targeted the keyword “Mud Pot”, Amazon will soon discover it anyway just because your competitor is using it.
9. Don’t get scared, Amazon can do it: So my request to everyone is to stop fantasizing so much about backend keywords and how we should write them or where we should position them. I see hundreds of articles on google misguiding people, freaking them out and scaring 8people if you don’t use this format, or things like this and that might happen and all the other reasons. There is nothing for you to worry about. Just understand that Amazon is too smart to pick up. You just give them little hints only. Rest Amazon can do it.
Sunny Ali, CEO Extreme Ecommerce.
If you have questions, you are welcome to join our Facebook Group to ask any questions https://www.facebook.com/ExtremeCommerce/